Thursday, March 19, 2009

Query Letters

I'm in the process of querying agents - looking for a literary agent to represent the book. Query letters have to be one page long, in three or four paragraphs at most. One has to summarize one's book in one paragraph, then pitch to the agent about one's background as a writer, one's 'platform'. I've been querying agents for the last six months, following advice to send batches of queries, say a dozen or so at a time, every couple of weeks. My letters improve with each batch. Now I'm wrestling with the platform part of my query. Should I include the fact that I teach Saudi and Gulf women's dance, that I lecture at schools and colleges on Saudi women and Arab music? Should I mention my work at the Arabic Music Retreat, or my `ud playing? I do have publishing credits, which I include. But the other activities...do they help or hurt? Until today I haven't mentioned anything but publishing credits. Today, I sent off a query with more information, so it will be interesting to see if it makes any difference. There's a wonderful FREE book available for downloading from amazon.com. It's called How to Write a Great Query Letter, by Noah Lukeman. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment